We’ve been feeling quite patriotic at MOJA Gear, so in celebration of Fourth of July firework burns and holiday weekend skin thrashing at the crag, we are sending out free JTree Climbing Salve with a purchase of $40 or more. Valid through Sunday, July 6.
Happy Fourth! Excited to be sharing some JTree Balm with you all. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.
"The premise of the Taker story is ‘the world belongs to man’. … The premise of the Leaver story is ‘man belongs to the world’."
Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
I just keep listening, and listening, and listening. And grooving.
An invitation to join our rock climbing forum
Hey guys, I’m asking for your participation and help in something I’m trying to get off the ground. And that is our MOJA Gear forum, which was initially made live in the fall but then taken down because our traffic was so low as we were just getting started. Take a look and please participate if you’d like. Thank you!! http://mojagear.com/forum
Dirtbag Indulgence: Kendal Jackson Chalk Bags - $20 w/ Free Shipping ➜
New Climbers: Seven Avoidable Mistakes
1. Climbing with bent, strained arms
Muscling through moves with bent arms may provide slightly more power in some circumstances, but bent and strained arms are the primary cause of getting pumped (forearms swelling from exhaustion) for new climbers.
Try this: focus on keeping your arms straight as you climb with your weight hanging down to apply natural pressure onto the handholds. Additionally, when feeling tired, position your body in an orientation that allows you to straighten your arms and shake them out in an alternating fashion.
Hey, that’s me. I wrote this! Critique is welcomed with open arms.
Personal Thoughts: Winter OR 2014
OR is massive. And it’s weird too.
There’s a mix of professional athletes, savvy business-folk, anti-business dirtbags, unnecessary consumerist gimmicks, and environmental alliances. There were a few brands I believed in, but most I simply couldn’t connect with. Do we really need a gimmicky light-up zipline, or another water bottle?
Being a 22-year-old with a young startup that’s just getting off the ground can be a bit intimidating. Most people have been in the industry for ten or more years, and a new company at OR means less than seven.
MOJA Gear has been going for less than seven months.
It was exciting to meet the founder of Metollius. I spoke with Chris Sharma for a couple minutes, and even handed him a business card while sharing the mission of MOJA Gear—that was cool.
Walking away from the event I was left with a mix of emotions. Is OR really all that great? Or is it simply a meeting spot for people to exploit outdoor sports and lifestyles? Looking through the New Product Showcase I felt a bit discouraged.
My emotions leaving were mixed, but I did depart with a few certainties:
- There is a drastic need for greater social and environmental responsibility within outdoor business.
- The industry isn’t as friendly as the crag.
- I’d like MOJA Gear to be the most responsible retailer. Not a responsible retailer, but the most responsible retailer. This means making connections with our supporters—being real people on the other end of the computer screen. It means stocking products we believe in. It means encouraging customers to only buy what they need, donating with each sale, and it means to always put the mission of MOJA Gear, Inspring Life, first in everything we do.
Thanks to those who have taken the time to read this. MOJA Gear is always looking for involvement, and right now we’re looking for help from writers. If you write well, please reach out at email@example.com.
Climbing Books for Sale
We’re putting together our shop (MOJA Gear) piece by piece, scrapping money together to buy a bit more inventory. We just got some climbing books in and you can check them out here.
- Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills
- Rock Climbing Anchors: A Comprehensive Guide
- Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills
- Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher
- Climbing Self-Rescue: Improvising Solutions for Serious Situations
We have a coupon, climbmoja, which is valid until 1/22/14 at 11:59pm. This will save you 20% on anything in our shop. We’re also offering free shipping on all orders for just a wee bit longer. Thanks!